hintsandthings.co.uk »Workshop

Household fires – procedures to take with small upholstery or clothing fires in the home.


WORKSHOP

HOME
Garage
–  Workshop
–  Office
–  Library –  Bathroom –  Living –  Nursery
–  Spare
Utility –  Kitchen –  Games
–  MusicGarden
–  KennelSEARCH
SITE

 


EMERGENCIES

Upholstery and
Clothing Fires



FIRE

The best thing to remember when there is a fire in the
house is –

GET OUT

CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE OUT

STAY OUT

Smoke, especially from plastic-foam
upholstery, can kill in less than two minutes.

It is a good idea, however, to know how
to deal with small household emergency.


Upholstered furniture fire

As mentioned above, burning plastic
foam gives off thick black smoke and/or toxic fumes which can kill in less than two
minutes.
DO NOT try to put the fire out – you
have not got time.

Step 1
         Leave the room and close the door to stop
smoke spreading.

Step 2
         Call the fire brigade.


A person’s clothes on fire

Step 1
         
Prevent the person concerned from running
around – remember fast movements fan flames.

Step 2
         
Lay victim down.  This prevents the
flames from rising to the head and  minimises burns.

Step 3
         
Douse flames with water or any other
non-flammable liquid to hand e.g. milk.

Alternatively,

Wrap victim tightly in a heavy coat, blanket, curtain or other thick
fabric and lay  them down flat.


Tips        

DO NOT use nylon or man-made material to smother flames.  These will just
melt and cause more damage.

DO NOT roll victim along the ground as this can cause burns to
previously unharmed skin.


The smell of burning at night

Step 1      
  Wake up everyone else in the house.

Step 2
        Get everyone outside.

Step 3
       Shut doors behind you to slow down the spread of
flames and smoke.

Step 4
       Find the nearest phone and call the Fire Brigade.


Tip  

DO NOT open doors to see the fire.  This can cause blow backs and. at the
very least, will fan the flames.


Remember
  

GET OUT, CALL THE FIRE BRIGADE OUT AND STAY OUT


CHIP PAN AND
ELECTRICAL FIRES