hintsandthings.co.uk »Kitchen

Safety in the kitchen area. Things to do to prevent accidents in the kitchen.



bandaged fingure

Safety First

In the Kitchen area

  
Lock cleaning fluids out of the reach of
children
 
Turn pan handles inwards when cooking (but
ensure they are not over the heat source)
 
Cover frying pans with frying screens or
lids.
 
Never fill chip pans more than one-third
full of oil.
 
Never leave pans containing fat or oil
unattended.
 
If the oil/fat in a pan catches alight DO NOT POUR ON WATER. Soak a towel or tea
towel in water, ring out and then VERY CAREFULLY place this cloth
over the top of the burning pan. LEAVE for at  least THIRTY
MINUTES
.  If it is removed before this time the flame will reignite.
 
Keep electrical cords and appliances away
from the sink and cooker.
 
Make sure electrical flexes are in good
order.  If frayed or damaged in any way discard immediately.
 
Make sure all flexes are away from the edge
of work surfaces.
 
Never mix different cleaning products as
they can react with each other.
 
Keep all dangerous items (e.g. matches,
sharp knives) away from the reach of children
 
Use kitchen steps, a stool or chair to
reach items in high places.
 
Don’t store anything attractive to children
such as snacks etc, near the cooker.
 
Tie back long hair when cooking.
 
Watch clothing whilst cooking, avoid loose
fitting sleeves if possible.
 
Keep all items such as cloths, curtains,
paper towels etc. away from the cooker.
 
To prevent slipping, do not leave hard
floors (such as tiles) wet/damp.
 
If you smell gas, turn off all gas jets and
extinguish all cigarettes.  Turn off the gas supply at the mains.  Don’t use a
torch or candles.  Open windows to disperse any build up of gas. If the smell of gas
persists, call the gas supply office immediately.
 
It is a good idea to have a fire blanket
and small fire extinguisher available for use with small fires.
 

When storing steak knives or other
very sharp pointed knives, push a cork onto the tip of each knife,
prevents cut fingers.

Ann from Ayr

 
Did You Know?

Originating from Neighbourhood Watch
Communities in the Stafford District 

 

Under extreme conditions microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach boiling point and can become superheated. The superheated liquid will then bubble up out of the container when it is moved or something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To reduce the chances of this happening and causing injury, it is advisable not to heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup and to let the cup stand for 30 seconds before moving it or adding anything into it. 

Inserting an object into the liquid for the heating time can minimise the risk (for example a wooden spoon, or wooden skewer) and it is a sensible precaution not to heat a liquid for longer than recommended. When moving the heated liquid consider protecting your hands, and keep your face well away from the container. 

 

It is, apparently, quite rare for this to happen
andMore detailed information on this subject can be see at 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boil-on-troubled-waters/

Disclaimer

 

See
Also Safety First in the Bathroom and Living Room