Dog Walking and/or Pet Sitting Business
following applies to the UK but the general information should be useful to
|If you love animals - deciding to become a pet-sitter gives you the
opportunity to run your own pet-sitting business and be your own boss in a
profession you’ll enjoy.
A pet sitting-business is easy to start and
inexpensive to run and only requires some planning before you begin.
Knowledgeable and dedicated pet-sitters are
always in demand. A pet-sitter is a contracted service provider who can
provide a variety of services usually including one or more from the
• Home Boarding
• Boarding in Client’s Home
• Dog Walking (A dog
walking business is one of the most common to set up)
• Pop in Services
• Small Animal Boarding
• Cat Sitting
• Doggie Day Care
• Pet Taxi Services
Pet owners seek out pet sitters who make
them feel confident that their pet will be cared for responsibly and that
their pet will receive the care and attention it needs while its owner is
||Good pet sitters are respected and trusted
amongst their clients. In the same way that a registered child-minder
indicates a level of knowledge, experience, dependability and
professionalism, a registered pet sitter providing a professional service
will install confidence and peace of mind in your customers.
Here are some questions you should ask yourself before you begin:-
• Do I genuinely love animals?
• Do I have experience in caring for animals? ( your own or other
• Am I responsible enough to put the pet’s needs first? (dog walking -
rain or shine)
• If home boarding, is my home safe & secure?
• Do I have social skills (you need to communicate to the owners that
you are capable).
• Am I business minded? (Organisational skills and practicalities are
7 must do’s to
running a pet sitting business
1. Do have Pet Sitting Forms and Contracts
2. Do get Pet Sitters Insurance.
3. Do get a Pet Sitter’s CRB check if you will be holding keys.
4. Do have a paperwork storage system, ideally a Pet Sitters Database.
5. Do write up a Pet Sitter’s Business Plan.
6. Do run a Marketing Campaign and get flyers made up.
Do join a pet sitting membership organisation that will help you with all
NarpsUK is a pet
sitter’s membership organisation who is there to help people start their
own pet sitting business or grow and existing one. They can provide you
with all of the above plus offer you help and advice when needed.
How to choose a pet sitter
Copyright © 2000-2013 Hints and Things
All Rights Reserved.
No portion of this site may be reproduced or redistributed without prior
written permission from Hints and Things. All trademarks & copyrights
throughout Hints and Things remain the property of their respective
Hints and Things cannot be
held responsible for any information given on this site nor do they
necessarily agree with, or endorse, the views given by third parties.